Split ends, also known as trichoptilosis, occur when the protective cuticle layer of the hair becomes damaged, causing the hair fibers to split. Here are some steps you can take to help get rid of split ends:
- Use a hair repair treatment: There are many hair repair treatments available that can help to nourish and repair damaged hair. These products can be applied to the hair to help seal the split ends and prevent further breakage.
- Get a haircut: Trimming off the split ends can help to get rid of them and prevent further damage. Consider getting a haircut every 6-8 weeks to keep your hair looking healthy and to remove any damaged ends.
- Avoid using heat styling tools: Heat styling tools, such as flat irons and curling irons, can cause damage to the hair and contribute to split ends. Consider using heat-free styling techniques, such as braids or buns, to style your hair.
- Use a heat protectant product: If you must use heat styling tools, be sure to apply a heat protectant product to your hair before styling. These products can help to reduce the damaging effects of heat and protect your hair from split ends.
- Avoid using harsh hair care products: Using hair care products that contain harsh chemicals or sulfates can strip the hair of its natural oils and lead to split ends. Look for products that are Chemical free.