Oats have been used in skin care for centuries due to their many benefits. Oats are known to:
- Exfoliate the skin: Oats contain natural compounds called saponins which act as gentle exfoliants and help remove dead skin cells.
- Soothe irritated skin: Oats contain anti-inflammatory compounds that can help soothe and calm irritated skin, especially skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- Moisturize the skin: Oats are rich in fatty acids and lipids, which can help to lock in moisture and keep the skin hydrated.
- Cleanse the skin: Oats have mild cleansing properties and can help to remove dirt and impurities from the skin without stripping it of its natural oils.
- Improve the skin's texture: Oats contain avenanthramides, antioxidants that can help to improve the skin's texture by reducing redness and inflammation.
- Help in anti-aging: Oats contain powerful antioxidants like vitamin E, ferulic acid and avenanthramides which help to neutralize free radicals and prevent the signs of aging.
You can use oats in many ways on skin, you can make a face pack by mixing oats with honey or yogurt, or use it as a scrub by mixing it with honey and sugar or with yogurt and lemon juice.