How can I get rid of cold sores?
Cold sores, also known as fever blisters, are small, painful blisters that typically appear on the lips, chin, or cheeks. Here are a few things you can try to help reduce the duration and severity of cold sores:
- Use a lip balm with sunscreen: Applying a lip balm with sunscreen can help protect your lips from the sun, which can trigger cold sores.
- Apply a cream or ointment: There are many over-the-counter creams and ointments that can help reduce the duration and severity of cold sores.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever: Pain relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen can help reduce pain and discomfort associated with cold sores.
- Apply a cold, wet compress: Placing a cold, wet compress on your cold sore can help reduce pain and swelling.
- Avoid touching or picking at your cold sore: Touching or picking at your cold sore can increase the risk of infection and further spread of the virus.
- Avoid sharing cups, utensils, and towels: Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus, which can be transmitted through close contact.