Dandruff in hair can be treated using a variety of methods, including: *
- Shampoo: Over-the-counter dandruff shampoos containing active ingredients such as salicylic acid, coal tar, selenium sulfide, and pyrithione zinc can help to control dandruff. These shampoos can help to slow the growth of yeast on the scalp and reduce flaking.
- Medicated creams and ointments: Medicated creams and ointments can be used to treat severe cases of dandruff. These products may contain hydrocortisone or other anti-inflammatory ingredients to soothe the scalp and reduce itching.
- Prescription medications: In severe cases, a dermatologist may prescribe a stronger medication, such as a steroid cream or oral antifungal medication, to control dandruff.
- Lifestyle changes: Making changes to your diet and hair care routine can also help to control dandruff. Eating a balanced diet that includes vitamins B and E can help to maintain the health of the skin and scalp. Avoiding harsh hair care products and washing your hair regularly can also help to reduce dandruff.
- Stress management: Reducing stress through exercise, meditation, or other stress management techniques can help to strengthen the immune system and reduce dandruff.
It's important to note that the best course of treatment for dandruff in hair will depend on the underlying cause.